Popcorn Day Fun Facts
Written by Staff on January 19, 2024
Popcorn Day Fun Facts – by Liam Sweeny.
I love bringing you the news of the truly strange, odd, and bizarre. And, of course, my commentary on these matters. But sometimes it is better said, and I must relinquish the megaphone. Today is National Popcorn Day. Yes, popcorn. I will celebrate by going to the Dollar General and grabbing one of those 3-packs of single-serve microwave magic and make them a threesome while I catch up on Netflix. But I said I have to give over the mic, and so I shall. From America’s Favorite Gourmet Popcorn, we will learn some fun facts about our movie staple.
Go to their site if you don’t believe any of it.
17 Fun Facts About Popcorn
- Popcorn is over 5000 years old.
- The first commercial popcorn machine was invented by Charles Cretors in 1885.
- Nebraska produces the most popcorn in America, around 250 million pounds per year.
- Microwaveable popcorn was invented by Pillsbury in 1982.
- Popcorn is a healthy GMO-free and gluten-free snack.
- January 19th is National Popcorn Day.
- The hull of some varieties of popcorn shatters when it pops so it looks hull-less.
- Popcorn can reach up to 3 feet in distance when popping.
- In 1949, popcorn was temporarily banned from movie theaters for being too loud of a snack.
- During the World War II sugar shortage, Americans ate 3x more popcorn.
- America’s Favorite Gourmet Popcorn pops our popcorn at 400°F, which is the ideal temperature for popping popcorn.
- The unpopped popcorn kernels at the bottom of a popcorn bag are called old maids.
- Popcorn kernels are 4% water, and the water causes popcorn to pop when heated up.
- Popcorn has three common shapes: rice, South American, and pearl. Pearl is the most popular popcorn shape.
- In the 1800’s, popcorn was often eaten as a cereal with milk and sugar.
- Popcorn is a popular North American Christmas tree decoration. Popcorn is threaded onto a string and used as garland.
- When popcorn pops in a round shape it is called mushroom popcorn and popcorn which pops in unpredictable shapes is called butterfly popcorn.